- An Iranian Instagram influencer known as Sahar Tabar was arrested on Saturday, the country's Tasnim news agency reported.
- Her charges include blasphemy, inciting violence, and corrupting youth on social media, as well as obtaining money through illegitimate means, Tasnim reported.
- Tabar rose to fame last year after she dramatically altered her facial features through cosmetic surgery. Her Instagram account was suspended after her arrest.
- The 22-year-old has had 50 procedures done to her face and body, Radio Farda reported.
- Iranians have criticized her for altering her features to look like actress Angelina Jolie or the character in Tim Burton's “The Corpse Bride,” though she has never openly discussed her goal for her cosmetic surgeries.
- See Insider's homepage for more stories.
An Iranian Instagram star, famous for undergoing dozens of cosmetic surgery procedures in an apparent effort to look like Angelina Jolie, was arrested on Saturday, Iran's Tasnim news agency reported.
Iranian authorities arrested the influencer, known as Sahar Tabar, for blasphemy, inciting violence, and corrupting youth on social media, as well as obtaining money through illegitimate means, Tasnim reported, without providing further details.
Tabar's Instagram account — which previously had 26,800 followers — was suspended shortly after her arrest. However, some fan pages have preserved photos and videos of her.
Who is Sahar Tabar?
Tabar's real name is “Fatemeh Kh,” Tasnim reported, with her surname likely abbreviated for security and privacy reasons.
Tabar rose to fame last year after posting photos of her drastically altered facial features, which were obtained through numerous cosmetic surgeries.
According to Radio Farda, the 22-year-old has had 50 procedures done to her face, though she has said that much of her appearance is down to makeup and “heavy editing.” Radio Farda is the Iranian branch of the US government-funded Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty broadcasting service.
Her new look included a narrow upturned nose, an accentuated pout, and sharp, hollow cheek bones.
Iranians have criticized her for altering her features to look like actress Angelina Jolie, and was also widely said to resemble the Corpse Bride, a character in the Tim Burton movie with the same name.
It's not clear if Tabar deliberately set out to look like Jolie or the Corpse Bride — Insider has found no evidence of her discussing her reasons for her procedures.
Her surgeries are not related to her arrest, Tasnim reported.
Cosmetic surgery and other beauty procedures are popular among men and women in Iran.
Read more on the main source